Spread the love

Dogs can eat peanuts.

Unlike other nuts, they are not toxic to dogs.

However, you should remember that like all nuts they contain high levels of fat, and dogs have difficulty digesting a large amount of fat in their digestive system.

When dogs ingest foods that contain high levels of fat, they can present the following:

  • Tummy ache
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Pancreatitis, a serious and painful condition

 

So, as long as you offer your dog only a few fresh (mold-free), unsalted, unspiced, and unflavored peanuts your dog should be fine.

Peanuts are a rich source of monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, niacin, manganese folate, and antioxidants some of these elements can help in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.

You should also make sure that you get rid of the shells because the rough nature of the shells can lead to damage to your dog’s gastrointestinal organs.

The first time you feed your dog peanuts start off with only 1-2 pieces and observe how your dog responds.

Moreover, peanuts can lead to allergic reactions in some dogs.

You should look out for allergy symptoms such as skin rash, itching, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, etc.

If your dog has kidney or gall bladder problems, peanuts are not the right treat for him due to the oxalate content in peanuts.

If your dog isn’t allergic to peanuts and doesn’t suffer from kidney or gall bladder disease, feel free to offer your dog a few peanuts but only on certain occasions. Don’t make a consistent habit out of it.

RELATED  Dog Breed: Small, Medium, Large And Giant

Spread the love

*Disclaimer: We are not vets nor animal nutritionists. Please consult with your own veterinarian when choosing and/or trying new foods.*